Organic acids are products of the body’s metabolic pathways. Evaluation of these downstream metabolites from various metabolic pathways provides insight into important areas related to gut health, mitochondrial dysfunction, neurotransmitter status, indicators of detoxification and macronutrient breakdown and nutritional status. This makes organic acid testing a valuable tool to assess the functional need for essential nutrients, diet modification, antioxidant protection, detoxification, and other therapies.
The Organic Acids Test (OAT) provides a comprehensive nutritional and metabolic snapshot of an individual’s overall health. The OAT measures 76 organic acids from one easy to collect urine sample.
• Intestinal Microbial Overgrowth
• Oxalate Metabolites
• Glycolytic Cycle Metabolites
• Mitochondrial Markers (Kreb Cycle)
• Neurotransmitter Metabolites
• Folate Metabolism
• Ketone and Fatty Acid Oxidation
• Nutritional Markers
• Indicators of Detoxification
• Amino Acid MetabolitesOrganic acids are chemical compounds excreted in the urine that are products of metabolism. Metabolism is the sum of chemical reactions in living beings by which the body builds new molecules and breaks down molecules to eliminate waste products and produce energy.Organic acids are most commonly analysed in urine because they are not extensively reabsorbed in the kidney tubules after glomerular filtration. Thus, organic acids in urine are often present at 100 times their concentration in the blood serum and thus are more readily detected in urine. This is why organic acids are rarely tested in blood or serum.
Organic acids are measured by a combination of gas or liquid chromatography linked with mass spectrometry
When should I use
Patient Instructions: Early morning urine (before eating or drinking) – avoid apples, grapes, pears and cranberries (and their juices) for 24 hours beforehand. Also abstain from vitamin and mineral containing supplements for 24 hours prior to providing a specimen.
Organic Acids Test is an essential profile for anyone seeking additional information related to underlying gut derived bacterial and fungal toxins, as well as evaluating for less known metabolic imbalances such as mitochondrial function. It is not a test limited to just a few conditions, but instead can be done on anyone dealing with a complicated and chronic health problem.
• GI conditions – IBS, Dysbiosis/Yeast
• Chronic Fatigue/ Fibromyalgia
• Autism/AD(H) D/ Asperger Syndrome
• Mental health
• Low energy
• Depression/ Stress/Anxiety
• Eating disorders
• Cognitive decline
• Nutrient deficiencies
• Joint/muscle pain
• Brain Fog
• Skin issues
Sample should be frozen if there is a delay before submitting to the lab. Ship Monday to Wednesday only.
If you have any questions please contact us